Thursday, February 4, 2010

Gifts

I think G-d takes the crises that we go thru,and repackages them as gifts. Without suffering we never grow. One week ago, a friend of mine died, and here I am, on the otherside of the planet, trying to figure out how to deal with it all.

It got me thinking, what if something happens to someone else? What if one of parents gets hurt? What if Dane does something extra stupid? What in the world am I doing all the way over here?

Then on Sunday, a friend took me aside, and said "G-d told me to tell you that your place is still here."

I will be stronger through this, even though things will never me quite the same ever again.

Two of the most powerful words in any language are "me too".

I have hit rock bottom, and teetered on the brink of insanity, and then, a friend came along side me and said "Yeah, I've been there too."

That's one of the main reason G-d lets us go through these things. So one day, when someone turn to us, we can say "I've been there too, and this is how I got through it."

We can be of so much more comfort when we've been in the same place.

Have you ever noticed when people try to give out advice when they have no point of reference how it almost always ends up sounding shallow and rehearsed?

But when they've been there too, there's a reality and a comfort that speak louder than their words.

G-d gives us gifts so we can share them.

So share.

1 comment:

Christine said...

http://christinerenee.blogspot.com/2008/02/once-again.html#links

That links to a post I wrote shortly after the first death.

I felt (and still feel) the worry that consumed me. The constant What ifs: My dad is getting older. What if he dies before he meets his grandchildren?//before I was married it was "what if he dies before he can walk me down the aisle?"

In one way or another we've all been there. I still cry when I think of them too hard. So many little things are still so vivid. I fall to pieces when I go to the cemeteries. So much so that I fall to my knees, shaking.

He is good. He is So good. I am so thankful. All is well, or will be. I am always amazed. Not much else I know to say right now, other than love.